[Coco] Screen capture

Lothan lothan at newsguy.com
Fri Oct 19 00:12:28 EDT 2012

Stephen H. Fischer wrote:

> The NAS uses the free Linux software and there is no capability of
> recovering now. Before as it was RAID 1 I could replace the disk and
> recover everything. Previous Seagate product was sent to Mexico for
> replacement three times before Seagate took pity on me and upgraded to a
> better product. A 1" fan for two drives in a box that was as tight as it
> could have been made. :-II
>
> If it really was NTFS then I could mount the drive in one of my desktop
> machines and use lots of programs to recover.
>
> With EXT3 I am screwed.

Been there, done that when an Infrant ReadyNAS went belly up due to
inadequate cooling of the power supply and Netgear kept giving me the
runaround to avoid honoring the warranty. But, it's not actually all that
bad, Stephen. I booted my notebook from an Ubuntu Live CD, plopped the
drives one-by-one into an external BlacX SATA to USB adapter, and copied the
files over the LAN to my Windows desktop. It took a few hours, but it was
easy enough.

If you don't have two computers, you can even use an external USB drive as
the destination or burn the files onto a bunch of DVDs or a pile of CDs.

If push comes to shove, there is also free software that lets you read
EXT2/EXT3 file systems directly from Windows.