[Coco] Dragon SuperDos and Drivewire....

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Thu Oct 18 17:27:42 EDT 2012

Phill, I'm sure Mr. Gault will chime in if I'm wrong... As he's the best source for HDBDOS info.
HDBDOS under DriveWire will allow 256 "disk" images in one of 256 VHD images.
The 256 disk images are accessable as normal "dirves" i.e. DRIVE0, DRIVE1 - DRIVE255.
The (theoretical) 256 (usually 4) VHD images can be accessed one at a tive via DRIVE#0, DRIVE#1 etc.
These commands can be issued from a basic program with no effect on memory, so some have written utilities to access, copy, move etc. files from one VHD to another. Though it has to be done at sector level to keep from destroying the program space, 256 bytes at a time.
Now, the cool feature is DRIVEON, DRIVEOFF. This (DRIVEOFF) allows you to access real floppy DRIVEs 0-3 and 4-255 disk images. Where DRIVEON turns real floppies off and uses 0-255 disk images on DRIVE#xxx.
Aaron Wolfe can explay how to manipulate Drivewire even further to access various offsets of various drives to get unique combinations. I have yet to have a need to play with this feature but expect I'm gett ready to.

Hope it helps
Bill P

Bill Pierce
ooogalapasooo at aol.com