[Coco] cowin vs cogrf question

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Oct 17 15:38:04 EDT 2012

On Wednesday 17 October 2012 15:19:23 Retro Canada did opine:

> Well not in my build using superIDE drivers. Didn't try diskette or
> something else. Whenever I used coWin and coVDG it didn't boot.
>
> On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 2:54 PM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 17 October 2012 14:44:43 Retro Canada did opine:
> >> I recently made a lot of level 2 boots for superIDE. It was on trial
> >> and error as usual.
> >>
> >> With CoGRF on level 2 you get all W to W15 windows 80/40 columns but
> >> you can't run multivue.
> >>
> >> To get the V1 to V4 32 columns you need CoVDG.
> >>
> >> To run multivue you need CoWIN. But CoWIN cannot coexists with CoVDG
> >> or you get a memory overflow.
> >
> > Humm, they can't co-exist?  Maybe thats where some of my memory is
> > going.
> >
> > {t2|08}/DD/NITROS9/dw3install/6309L2/MODULES/SCF:mdir
> >
> >    Module Directory at 14:34:01
> >
> > REL         Boot        Krn         KrnP2       KrnP3       IOMan
> > Init        RBF         rbdw3       dw3         X0          X1
> > RBSuper     lltc3       DD          S1          SH          rb1773
> > D0          D1          D2          SCF         VTIO        KeyDrv
> > SndDrv      JoyDrv      CoWin       CoVDG       sc6551      Term
> > W           W1          W2          W3          W4          W7
> > scdwn       N           N1          N2          N3          N4
> > N5          N6          N7          MIDI        t2          scdwp
> > p           PipeMan     Piper       Pipe        Clock       Clock2
> > GrfDrv      Shell       Date        DeIniz      Echo        Iniz
> > Link        Load        Save        Unlink      inetd       MDir
> >
> > And this is from the /t2 screen of my default dw enabled boot floppy.

A PS of sorts, I just rebuilt it without CoWin.  Boots just fine. AND smap
is a heck of a lot happier, from 4k free to 9k free, 36 'pages' now.  Maybe
I can format a floppy?  ;-)

In fact, since I have /sh pointing at the hard drive boot location, and can
change that to an adjacent vdisk with dmode stp=82 rather easily just for
testing, I am tempted to replace the boottracks boot_rb1778_6ms module with
the boot_tc3 module in mb.dw3 and fire that script off to do a mb on /d0
and back it up to /sh.  Then note for recovery and add 1260 decimal sectors
to DD.BT in LSN0 of /dd and reboot.  If that works, then do it again to the
default /sh, restore DD.BT and laugh all the way to the fridge. ;-)  We'll
see. I don't care for painting myself into a corner though.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
E = MC ** 2 +- 3db