[Coco] nitros9 level3

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Oct 16 00:31:49 EDT 2012

On Tuesday 16 October 2012 00:10:33 Stephen H. Fischer did opine:

> Hi,
>
> Gene, could this mutate into a new release of NitrOS-9, one that would
> be as good as the OS-9 system I and others had at about the end of
> Delphi and CIS?

Maybe, but I'd not want to take on the responsibility of a fork at my age.

> There is a lot of good work that did not make it into NitrOS-9.

Myram is one of those bits that fell through the cracks, partly my fault
though.  I have it building in my local tree as part of the rbf stuffs
right now, but it isn't working.

> Changes could be made and people would need to adapt just like if Tandy
> released a new OS-9 Level-II version.
>
> The new Windows I am talking about, four (4) 80 Track 2 Sided disks,

The controller hardware is only capable of 3 when they are dbl sided, no
way around that.

> Shellplus restored back to it's glory (Parts just are not in NitrOS-9
> that are part of Shellplus) and so many other thing that I see are
> missing.

I agree, but for instance, how many have a wp-rs pack and have actually had
their coco running 2 independent monitors?  Two people maybe and I'm one of
them.  But all the code to hook that up was excised from cc3io years ago,
apparently in favor of the lowest common denominator.

I agree about shellplus, I ran into a script of mine that never was too
good a few days ago, that acts as if its completely broken now.  I was not
aware that anything had been cut out of it, but I can give a breakage
example.  Its that '-' in front of the bttemp merge.  The other shell seems
to tolerate that as a signal to overwrite if bttemp exists.  I always have
to remove that dash and add a couple lines to the mb script to 'touch' it
in case it doesn't exist, then del the touched instance, otherwise the mb
script bails out right there.  That dash is poison.

> -----------------------
>
> If anyone thinks that this is a good idea, or have items that you would
> like to see in a new release, please send an e-mail to:
>

> mailto:SFischer666 at Mindspring.com
>

> Please bear with me, setting up a new mailbox is a Devil of a job.
> Please keep trying until I get it right.
>

> If you read this message very late, please respond anyway regardless of
> other discussions, I would like to know what others think may not have
> been included and should be.
>
> They might be added to my disk of missing parts.

I'm working on building a level 3 boot disk out of modern code ATM so I'm
occupied.  Once that is working then I'll see why mamou won't build a
working myram, and then get vfy committed to the cmds dir.

Thats the plan at the Heskett abode at any rate.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
-- I have seen the FUN --