[Coco] nitros9 level3

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Oct 13 14:30:36 EDT 2012

Greetings all;

Sick of being always out of system ram, I just went into my local 3.2.9b
repo, and after setting all the path $ env vars in the appropriate
.bashrc's, made the coco3_6309 .dsk's for level 3.

Then in dw I mounted the single disk version .dsk, and made a new
/dd/nitros9/L3install directory, and dsaved the whole thing to
/dd/nitros9/l3install.

It has apparently been 16 years since Alan DeKok last worked on the
Level3.doc file, and I half expected that somewhere along the line, he or
someone might have committed some mb scripts in the SCRIPTS directory, and
some L3.bl's in the BOOTLISTS directory.  Sadly, both directories of the
install are empty.  So all I have to go by in composing an L3.bl, is the
ident -s of a bootfile Alan was using in 1996!

Lots, I dare say at least 1/2 (not counting descriptors of course) of
nitros9 has now been renamed as its been broken up into smaller modules
with hopefully less duplication of efforts, so arriving at a compatible
L3.bl is going to be a confusing and frustrating under taking.

So, the $64k question is, has anyone but Alan ever made this actually work?

If so, or if Alan is copying the mail here, it would be appreciated if they
would speak up and offer some guidance as to how best to translate what
was, into the more modern dialect of a bootlist for 3.2.9.

Secondary silly Q: A fav technique to keep from having to rewrite the
wheels that make all this work, is to 'dot source' an included file.  I
have in mind if this is possible using shell+, to make a master bl that
looks like this:

nitro
. scf.bl (read in the list of scf related modules here)
end
. rbf.bl (read in the rbf related modules here)
end
. remaining.bl (etc, starting with krnp3, init, yadda yadda)

sort of a list.  Is this possible with our shells?

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Computers can figure out all kinds of problems, except the things in
the world that just don't add up.