[Coco] DW4 problems

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Oct 13 06:32:40 EDT 2012

On Saturday 13 October 2012 05:19:09 Bob Devries did opine:

> I might add that I tried using BACKUP to clone the SCSI HD to the DW
> disk image, but that quits at the first error 245.

That is about the same as I got, trying to do a sector by sector copy using
my basic09 version of the linux dd, it fell over at some random point, 67
megs was as far as I got in quite a few tries, and that image was not
recognized as an os9 formatted image by dw at any time in those attempts.

So, since linux never really wrote that 67 megs, reporting that file to be
only 25 bytes long, I nuked, touched a new one and chowned it to me.  And
now I'll try to format it.  I used dmode to make it match the hd I want to
back up.

If format screws up my /dd like it did the last time I am going to one
unhappy camper.  It did report similar characteristics, but I killed it
after about 30 seconds as the gui said that the vdisk mounted on /x1 was
not being accessed for anything.  Now I'm dchecking /dd and when thats done
I'll do /dh.  If those come back intact, I'll repeat the experiment but
wait for it to ask me for a disk name.  Maybe format, on a hard drive, only
writes LSN0 after the disk name? question.  I do not know.

On the previous attempt to format /s1, it was not until it had started the
surface verify that I discovered it was working on /dd=/s0, its access led
was blinking like crazy and I was 10 days recovering from that, with some
stuff lost forever!  It totally ignored the fact that a dmode /s1 said
drv=01, while a dmode /dd said drv=00.

And now I can't run dcheck, error 237-ram full.  And smap says I only have
14 pages, 3kb free.  In 2 pieces.  telnet>quit is an invalid command.  I
hope to hell I can reboot. Whew, did, now 19 pages & 4kb according to smap.
And dcheck seems to be running this time.

Later.  When I know more...