[Coco] Colorful_Sled_6ed

Fri Oct 12 22:08:49 EDT 2012

Hi,

Sled (Either version) is not what you want.

Both are limited to what will fit in memory.

I stopped work on Colorful Sled when I ran out of memory and if any more
code were to be added, the text buffer size would have to be reduced by
another 8K. I refused to consider this.

I realized this limitation and did not like it at all.

The solution I found was to start over with an editor called, If I remember
correctly, "RED". It was not memory limited, as all the editors I use on
Windows are.

It is in the notes.

I have (I hope) the Dr. Dobbs Magazines with the source, but I have not seen
them for twenty plus years.

It was doable for OS-9 IMHO, but I never started.

Sled has had little mention on the CoCo list and I am somewhat surprised
that the non memory limited editors available have not been mentioned
lately.

I searched for RED and found a DVD offered for ~ $60.

You are better off doing your editing on Windows like I do now, and then
transfer the source to NitrOS-9 when ready. RainbowIDE, if what Roger and I
disagreed on was done by him, is not your best choice.

I am going to talk to Luis about getting CoCoDskUtil really usable for OS-9
disks which it is not yet. That will help a lot with the transfers.

http://www.contexteditor.org/

Is what I used for editing code, be it Urbane (DECB) or "C" or what ever. My
Word Processor Lotus WordPro is also used for some operations.

I did not run into the problems you are having because I broke the source
apart when I got close to the editor limit. I would expect that you could do
the same. The source that you gave me is way too large for Colorful Sled.

Your desires all sound like Windows built in cut and paste, multiple windows
open at the same time and lots more features that I use forgetting that OS-9
does not have anything close to them.

Colorful Sled was fine back then when much better editors were not
available.

Try using "Edit" for ten minutes, you will be sick. Or DECB's editor, or
Basic09's editor. Sled was a huge step up back then.

SHF