[Coco] Tutorial on Telnet/inetd on Coco3 DW4 (is there one?)

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Oct 12 06:01:47 EDT 2012

On Friday 12 October 2012 05:57:57 Aaron Wolfe did opine:

> That's not good.
>
> Are you still using the nightly disk that has other issues?  I wonder if
> this is another.  The dw command output is a stream, not sector based
> and the largest single transfer of bytes possible in the stream is 255,
> not 256.  So... I think it is very unlikely that the output of the dw s
> l command actually contained 256 0s aligned perfectly with a sector
> boundary..  which I think means that the bit after the redirect is
> where things went wrong.  Dw4 will create zero filled sectors to pad
> out a file when necessary... if you have a file with 10 sectors in it
> and write to sector 12, 11 will be created and zero filled.  Its
> possible an entire write operation went missing?  Did you notice any
> errors or warnings on the server log screen?  And, is it consistent or
> do multiple runs yield different results?  Fwiw this and every other
> transfer I've tested work fine here, but I am running an older disk
> generated from my own clone of the source which is not current...  bit
> of a mess.
>
> Anyway, scary because it seems likely the problem is actually in the
> sector write, which would likely effect any write op, not just those
> writing the output of a dw download.  Hrmmmm .  Need to sort this out.
>  If you could submit a bug report with all boxes checked after running
> that command, I'll look through it for any clues.

Let me add a PS of sorts here.  Early on in my attempts to recover /dd
after a format /s1 went aglay, I tried to use /x1 as a work disk for
dcheck.  It went completely bonkers, like dcheck030 was sent to /dev/null.

Every attempt since has worked perfectly.  snilmerG?