[Coco] another nightly build problem

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Oct 10 06:26:32 EDT 2012

On Wednesday 10 October 2012 05:31:59 Bob Devries did opine:

> Gene,
> I'm a little red-faced here.....
>
> >> verify <rel
>
> This is indeed the correct syntax for the verify command. I just checked
> the Level 1 OS9 Commands manual, and it states:
>
> verify [u] <file >newfile
>
> (page 115ff)

So it needs to generate a new file.  One of the targets for vfy was that it
be solid enough to work on the file 'in situ', and it does.  The only time
it generates new files is if you give it the -s or -sk commands.

If you need to take an OS9Boot file apart, into its individual modules,
makdir a place to hold them, cd to it, and "vfy -s /path/to/OS8Boot",
and when its done you'll have a directory with the individual modules in
it.  Ditto for the -sk option but you'll need to construct a directory
entry and an FD sector for the hidden boot track, track 34.  The -sk makes
it save those 6 bytes in front of rel, rel, boot, krn, and the trailing IRQ
table that makes the track exactly $1200 bytes long, as 5 separate files.
I have then changed the rel or boot modules as needed in a new "merge"
command to make a new 'tmpbt' as a file, then opened the original boottrack
file in write mode and overwrote it to change the boot screen to 80 column,
or to change the boot device.  With the currently generated rel's, you will
not need to reuse that 6 byte header, and I believe the currently generated
krn's also have the IRQ tables attached too.  Back when I wrote vfy, those
2 extra bits were needed else the merged file os9gen can use was too short.

Things have changed for the better in that regard now. :)

I wrote a KRNL_TO_DIR b09 procedure to make that krnltrack directory entry
for us, but its been broken now by some of the breakup and renaming that
has been done to the display bits & pieces that have been done to nitros9
in the last 10 or 12 years.  I'll have to see if I can find the unpacked
version and fix it.  Found it.  I think my problem may be that my CMDS/runb
has a copy of gfx2 merged to it, and that is one of the graphics modules
that has been broken up and renamed.

Question for all b09 users:  What other modules do you have currently
merged to your working versions of runb?

> It's been too long....

Ditto :(

> Regards, Bob Devries
> Dalby, QLD, Australia

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
When the revolution comes, count your change.