[Coco] 128K CoCo 3 is DOA D:

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sat Oct 6 09:16:05 EDT 2012

Juan

The black border and green screen background is default for the COCO. If that comes up
then at least part of the GIME chip is working.

IF you have no prompts then you may have a DRAM or CPU problem. In the COCO3 on
power up there is a block of code that is copied from the ROM into RAM. If RAM is corrupt or
the CPU is not working then the GIME reads bad data from the low resolution text screen
area. Blowing the address and data ports on the CPU in the COCOs is not all that difficult to
do. Problably the weakest part of the 6809 design and the COCO itself is the lack of robust
drive capabilities and protection of the address and data buses through the expansion port.

Try reseating the DRAM chips. I still think the DRAM chips are available through surplus
outlets like Jameco and others. If not then I may still have the set of DRAMs that I pulled out
of my COCO3 over twenty years ago. I don't remember if the 6809E wsa socketed or not. If
so then change CPU if you have a spare. I also have 680B09Es also even thought they are
still available on the net.

james