[Coco] [COCO] Raspberry PI and CoCo Cart

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 20:48:55 EDT 2012

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 7:54 PM, David Ladd <drencor at gamepixel.net> wrote:
> Well my idea is is just addressing two FIFI buffer's at the Boisy
> Interface/Becker ports and then maybe modify the Drivewire 4 server to
> talk via parallel rather than serial using the Raspberry Pi's
> interface.  I need to find a parallel FIFO chips that can do this.  I
> figured a parallel interface would be a bit faster than serial plus
> two FIFO chips would provide at least a good buffer to allow the CoCo
> to catch up under OS-9 if other processes are going on between
> packets.
>
> Though I don't have a Pi yet and I figured since you have a Pi and
> wrote DW4 server that could come up with the required hardware to
> combine the Pi into a cart to basically be the CoCo's version of the
> Boisy Interface/Becker port.

Well.. I haven't the slightest clue about hardware but I have been
talking to those that do.
I've gotten the impression a FIFO/Boisy/Becker interface is very
possible for someone
with the knowledge to make things.  That would be cool, I just wonder
if we couldn't do
something a bit lower level and turn the Pi into a flexible I/O
controller rather than a
drivewire server on the end of a serial connection... there are some
pretty massively
nice things such a device could do.

> The only thing I know right now is that anyone who still uses a J&M
> Controller with a built in parallel port would have to switch to
> another floppy controller since it uses the same address ports.
>
> I still need to do more research into the FIFO chips and if 8bit ones
> are made.
>
> I figured using the becker port would make things a bit easier since
> NitrOS-9 already has the DW driver for it.  The only thing that would
> need to be done is for someone who has rights to update the source
> code to the HDBDOS project could update the DW read and write files to
> include the becker port and then add to the make file to produce
> another HDBDOS image that includes a becker compile of HDBDOS.

It's true that implementing the B/B interface means no additional software needs
to be written..  conversely it also means no additional functionality,
just much
better speed.  That's good, but I want to at least explore doing more.  It may
well end up that a fifo is the only practical way but I haven't given up yet.
If we had a way to communicate from coco to usb/ethernet/etc on the pi,
believe me I will write the software to use it.