[Coco] [COCO] Raspberry PI and CoCo Cart

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 19:24:27 EDT 2012

I have been wanting/planning/trying to gather information on a "Pi in
a Pak" for some time now.

Interfacing via a faster, less CPU intensive DriveWire connection is
interesting, and maybe that is the limit of what can be done.
However, I had hoped for something a bit different.  I've talked with
some experts (or at least they know a heck of
a lot more about it than I do) and gotten some ideas but maybe the
list has some too...

It seems like the ideal (and maybe unobtainable) interface would be
one which can read and write directly to the
bus lines just like a regular ROM pak or drive controller.  Given this
ability, one could accurately simulate *any*
pak or peripheral (or several at a time?).  You could also create new
peripherals, such as interfaces to the various
I/O found on the Pi (USB, ethernet, audio/video, etc...).   Way better
than an embedded DW server imho.

I don't know if its possible or practical, I just know that it would
be awesome.  From what I've gathered... it might be possible
but it's not a sure thing.  You have to dance pretty fast to play on
the bus.  The Pi does have an SPI interface capable of many
Mb/s throughput (one guy's testing says 16Mbps is a practical limit)
in addition to several GPIO pins.  John Kent showed me
a cheap I/O processing chip that was cheap, programmable, had SPI and
a whole bunch of latches, and could operate in the
multi Mhz range.  Can they be stuck together into something that can
participate on the coco bus?  I wouldn't even know how
to guess, but I'd surely like to find out.  Also interested in
alternate schemes that provide superior/more direct communication
than the DW style serial line.

Can the Pi be turned into the ultimate virtual MPI?  $0.01 for your thoughts