[Coco] MIDI with drivewire 4

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Oct 4 01:45:19 EDT 2012

On Thursday 04 October 2012 01:29:15 Bill Pierce did opine:

> Gene,
>  In theory, that should work, but in reality it's a midi disaster. A
> midi file has no "clock" so therefore it will just "blast" the DW drive
> with data as fast as list can send it. There has to be software to send
> the bytes at proper intervals for it to be "musical". All midi timing
> is the job of the sender, the reciever just "plays it as it sees it"

Humm, ISTR I have sent a .mid file to /dev/midi, which is the midi synth
input of my audigy2 Value card, with something like cp and it worked.  But
its a lot handier to fire up timidity or rosegarden, load it up & see the
animation play (the coco .mid files aren't 100% compatible for some reason)
but most of the stuff I have grabbed off the net seems to work.

dw has the advantage though as it has a fairly easy to configure note and
voice translator so it will match the sound you might get out of a Roland
or yamaha keyboard before GM became a somewhat loose std.  My card has to
have a sound font loaded first, using one of the awe utilities else its
either muted or makes raw noise.

I haven't set it for that since I switched to ubuntu from pclos, mandriva
before that.  I believe I was running mandriva 2007 or 2008 then.  IOW I
can't prove it at the moment.  And while I have surprised my music teacher
wife by picking out and playing the base line from sheet music on her piano
so I can practice a bit before choir, and I can stumble around on a
gitfiddle, I will never claim I can play either.

> That's why there was so many requests for a "Standard Midi" player back
> in the old days. I actually have one I'm going to release soon. Mike
> Knudson started it back in the 90s but it's a memory hog and needs to
> be tamed to play properly.

UM3play?  Yeah, it worked, but seemed overly picky.