[Coco] MIDI with drivewire 4

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Thu Oct 4 00:35:16 EDT 2012

Gene,
 In theory, that should work, but in reality it's a midi disaster. A midi file has no "clock" so therefore it will just "blast" the DW drive with data as fast as list can send it. There has to be software to send the bytes at proper intervals for it to be "musical". All midi timing is the job of the sender, the reciever just "plays it as it sees it" That's why there was so many requests for a "Standard Midi" player back in the old days.
 I actually have one I'm going to release soon. Mike Knudson started it back in the 90s but it's a memory hog and needs to be tamed to play properly. A modified version of it is included with the latest release of Sound Chaser. It just stops loading tracks when memory is full and plays what it has. If the first track is too big for memory, it aborts.

Bill P

Bill Pierce
ooogalapasooo at aol.com