[Coco] DragonCoCo

Phill Harvey-Smith afra at aurigae.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 3 16:45:25 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I've just managed to modify a Dragon 64 to be dual personality, both as
a Dragon 64 or a CoCo.

This involves two circuits, one is a 27256 (or bigger) that replaces
IC18, and has the normal Dragon rom in the lower 16K and a slightly
modified** CoCo 2 rom in the upper 16K, A14 is connected to a switch so
that you can select between them.

** The reason for the modified rom is twofold, firstly the Default CoCo
rom writes to one of the PIA echoes in the FF04-FF07 area, on the Dragon
64 this is where the ACIA is mapped, so this has to be avoided.
The second reason is that the CoCo 1/2 have to detect what RAM chips are
fitted (as does the Dragon 32), whereas the Dragon 64 will always have
8x4164 64Kx1 chips, so the ram detection code is removed.

The other part of the circuit is a little board containing 2 4053 analog
multiplexors, that sits in the keyboard cable and who's job it is to
re-map the Dragon keyboard layout onto the CoCo one. The select inputs
for these two chips, pins 9,10 and 11 are wired together and connected
to the A14 switch of the rom circuit.

There is one mod to the main board that is required for this to work, C5
and C2 must be removed, on the Dragon these sit between the PA0 and PA1
lines of the PIA and ground, these are the lines the joystick buttons
are connected to, without removing these the first two rows of the
keyboard will not work in CoCo mode. The CoCo has these two caps on the
other side of the L1 and L2 inductors inline with the buttons, so it may
be possible to re-connect them there.

Note at this time I have done no testing of how this affects the joystick.

This way I can power on with the switch in one position and I have a
Standard Dragon 64, which will play nicely with standard Dragon
programs, and will boot into all ram basic by typing EXEC 48000. In the
other position I have a CoCo 2, with 64K CB 1.2 and ECB 1.1.

I have designed a circuit that will hopefully plug into the printer port
and convert it to a bit-banger, which will work in CoCo mode, though if
the correct software where written there's no reason it shouldn't also
work in Dragon mode.

Please also note that all the above was done on a UK Dragon 64, I do
have a couple of Tano machines, so at some point I'll try it on them but
see no reason why it would not work. However some of the components may
be labeled differently.

Cheers.

Phill.