[Coco] Drivepak clone (Modified Modem Pak) For Sale - Not anymore...

Brian random.rodder at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 10:43:06 EST 2012

I started playing around with SideKick on the DrivePak last night. Right
now I have the SideKick files on disk 100. After cycling thru a couple
disks in the menu, certain files do cause problems. If I try to load
Donkey Kong (on disk 5 or 75 in my pak) the following happens:

for the disk in the 005 location, the screen goes green and the system
locks up.
for the disk in the 075 location, the screen goes green and Donkey Kong
tried to load from the floppy drive, locking the CoCo up.

Donkey Kong seems to load fine from the SuperIDE using SideKick, as do
the 256 color Xmas demos from a few years back, and TW128.
I did note that Donkey Kong has issues when loaded from the SuperIDE
(using either SideKick or RUN"DONKEY"). For some reason, Kong flickers
during his animation sequences when throwing the barrels. I don't see
this when loaded from DriveWire, DrivePak or floppy disk...

I also noticed that when I do the following on the DrivePak:

DRIVE 0,#100 (to get to the vdisk with SideKick on it)
RUN"SIDE"

When SideKick starts and disk 000 is highlighted, I see the the files
for SideKick shown in the directory tree for disk 000. If I move the
cursor down, then back to 000, the correct contents are shown.

On the SuperIDE, I don't see this behavior. Though, I have found a game
SideKick will not load from SuperIDE or DrivePak - Jeweled by Roger
Taylor...

If it helps, here's how my system is currently configured:

CoCo3 - 512k, 6309
MPI; Slot 1- HDB-DOS; Slot 2 - DrivePak; Slot 3 - SuperIDE; Slot 4 -
floppy controller.

SuperIDE has a CF card for DRIVE #0 and a hard disk for DRIVE #1.

Brian