[Coco] 6309/6809 opcodes with mixed 8/16 bit registers

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Thu Nov 22 10:57:45 EST 2012

Not sure if you have the undocumented opcode in on the 6809, opcode $3E.

On all the official opcode maps it does not appear. If I remember correctly it will do a
RESTART ( ie reset). The term RESTART appears in the programming manual from 1983
as a hardware interrupt, (ie RESET). For some reason they added a software reset or
RESTART that never made it to the official documentation.

You can check it out by inserting into any code

FCB $3E

and see what it does.

>From the old 6800 days there was HCF opcode that I am not sure translated into the 6809 or
not. Rumors has that it did. In the 6800 it was $DD. Not sure what it was in the the 6809 or
even if it ws still there. $DD is STD in direct mode in the 6809. HCF or more commonly know
as Halt and Catch Fire. It actually did not catch fire but the processor went into an address
self test mode that had to be hard resetted to continue. There maybe other test mode
opcodes that may or may not be there. Some may appear to do nothing but actually do
something. The HCF opcode turns the address bus into a 16 bit counter. There maybe even
one for the data bus. I know that 6811, 6805 and others based on those two have built in self
test modes that are used in the testing of the die before and after packaging.

james