[Coco] OT: DMS/3

Frank Swygert farna at amc-mag.com
Wed Nov 21 11:24:37 EST 2012

Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 16:31:37 -0800
From: Louis Ciotti<lciotti1 at gmail.com>

I was not implying there are not methods to extend the longevity of modern
PCs, but the sheer complexity of todays operating systems (IMHO) throws
another wrench in the works.  I mean old computers like the coco are
somewhat easier to modify for use with newer technology.  Can you imagine
having to get a new currently unknown storage media up and running on
Windows 30 years from now?  Just the shear number of lines of code is
daunting to a hobby programmer.

Luckily there is Linux! I run Mint 9 on a couple older computers (Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx, Linux 2.6.32, Gnome 2.30 and Xorg 7.4), Pentium 4 single core. That's about the latest Ubuntu that will run on them without a speed penalty. There are still occasional updates, and of course the source code is available (though it does ME no good!). Easier to write drivers and such for and to get help.

But as for Windows, you better have a copy of everything you might need somewhere. I burned all the extra drivers I need on a CD for safe keeping, but 30 years from now that might be a problem. I wouldn't want to have to dig up drivers for Windows 95 or 98 hardware even now. It might be "findable" yet, but go back to Windows 3.1!! I've got that burned on a CD as well, copies of all the floppies. I don't think it will boot/load from the CD though, would have to copy to 3.5" floppies, and that alone would be a daunting task 30 years from now! Should be easy enough for the next 10, but after that... Then again, you can still find 8" SD floppy drives and discs, but expensive!

--
Frank Swygert
Editor - American Motors Cars Magazine