[Coco] Radio Shack looking back to their roots?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Nov 12 10:29:07 EST 2012

On Monday 12 November 2012 10:18:57 Allen Huffman did opine:

> On Nov 11, 2012, at 9:05 AM, Frank Swygert <farna at amc-mag.com> wrote:
> > I've been a fan of Instructables for a while now -- mainly just
> > looking, but finding a few rather useful. I noticed Radio Shack
> > sponsoring a contest on the site and advertising -- I wonder if they
> > are looking at getting back to their roots a bit with kits and
> > parts??? http://www.instructables.com/id/A-DVD-Player-Hack/
> > (click on "The Great Create" on the right as well).
>
> There does seem to be someone within Tandy that is interested in
> promoting this. In October, I was able to go to a local RadioShack in
> Marshalltown, Iowa (smallish town about an hour away from Des Moines)
> and pick up an Arduino computer and various add ons and parts. I was
> trying to find something that could serve as an interface between
> pressure mats (in a Haunted house attraction) and a netbook computer
> that ran the control software. The Arduino did the trick, and over the
> next week or so, I visited various RadioShacks to pick up all kinds of
> parts -- connectors, prototype boxes, Arduino interface cards, etc.
>
> I found that one RadioShack nearby (next town over, 10 miles from Des
> Moines) stocked all kinds of stuff not found in any of the others --
> servo motors, joystick type inputs, wiring packs, etc. They said they
> just had enough folks buying the stuff to really stock up. I hadn't
> seen so much in a RadioShack in years -- and they were not being
> supported by a local college with an electronics class or anything.
> Just folks coming in and buying stuff. They did seem concerned that
> RadioShack was going to downsize all this stuff again.
>
> While an Arduino isn't a full featured computer like the old 8-bits
> were, it was still a great hobbyist platform for specific projects and
> one available (for $35) at the local RadShack. Take a look at that
> section next time you go to one -- I found wireless modules, motion
> sensors, motor controllers as well as many types of build-it kits and
> "MakerShed" project books. They may not have the vast assortment of
> parts (but still quite a selection) as the 70s/80s, but they have a ton
> more stuff we could only dream of finding local back then.
>
> It's alive, which is surprising in this day of "free 2nd day shipping"
> Amazon. For the Haunted House project, I was trying to buy as much as
> possible locally, so if something went out, I could get an instant
> local replacement without having to wait even two days for a new
> shipment. The folks I was hired to do this build for probably
> appreciated that, considering the numerous technical problems I ran in
> to that sent me scrambling for more parts.
>
> It was a real eye opener finding out all the stuff RadioShack has
> started stocking in the recent years. -
> Allen Huffman - PO Box 22031 - Clive IA 50325 - 515-999-0227 (vmail/TXT
> only) Sent from my MacBook.

I'm seeing both propeller and arduino stuff at the local shack here in
Weston WV.  But I don't think they are "flying" off the pegboards locally.
Kitwise $70-$80 seems a bit much.

The drawers of the parts display keep getting shuffled around as to
contents, with common electronic parts getting in short supply though.

I've been considering make new brains for our elderly washer & dryer out of
a couple of them.  Because I'm so sensitive to laundry soaps, I've been
running my clothes thru a 2nd cycle with it reset to all cold water just to
get the soap rinsed out.