[Coco] coco serial port

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Nov 7 21:47:27 EST 2012

On Wednesday 07 November 2012 21:35:00 Bob Devries did opine:

> "The forgotten chip" That was it!! Thanks, Gene.

At my age, I probably would not have remembered it if I hadn't actually
done it.  All on a small piece of perfboard, just laying under the
keyboard.  ISTR at the time that I stole the parts out of a DC Modem pack
that was headed for the bin since it was hard coded for 300 baud.  I ran it
at 9600, which was 4x faster than the $20k kit Grass was peddling at the
time.  I sold it to the station for $245, pointing out that it was 4 times
faster, gave english file names instead of code wheel switched numbers.  I
wrote the program in my office, so it was on their time.  But when that
switcher was finally retired, they gave me the whole kit of coco stuff to
take home.  The only problem(s) I ever had with it were created by Radio
Shacks refusal to put an underwriters approved 3 pin line cord on all that
stuff, so about every 10th time we got tapped by a passing electrical storm
(we were a magnet with a 255 tower 40 feet out the backside door, and the
whole place sitting on a cubic mile of sandstone) so the emp across a 3
foot drive cable from ungrounded coco to ungrounded disk drives was the
demise of several disk controllers over the years.