[Coco] Newbie doubt OS-9 Level 1 and the CoCo 2

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu May 31 07:18:27 EDT 2012

On Thursday, May 31, 2012 06:30:32 AM Juan Castro did opine:

> I never used OS-9. Does it multitask on the CoCo 1/2?

Yes.

> If so, how is it able to? CoCos, pre-Coco 3, didn't have timer
interrupts.

Having walked around in the clock module, one of the first modules I ever
attacked in the last half of the '80's. that is not true,  The clock module
is where the processing takes place, at nominally 60 ticks a second and
schedules which process gets to run for the next tick.  This is also where
hardware interrupts are serviced, with the searching for the interrupt
source order being determined by the priority value passed in at the time a
module registers its individual IRQ service routine.

I have measured the IRQ latency of a coco1/2/3, once the mpi was strapped
to pass the interrupts, at a maximum of 15 microseconds, which, considering
the 1/2 ran at .889 mhz, is very good.  This is from the instant the ACIA
in an RS-232 pack pulled the IRQ down/true, to the data register in the
ACIA being read, which cancels that IRQ.

> Was it cooperative multitasking?

No, see above.  My foray into the clock module was brought about by the
clock chip in the B&B-XTC HD interface, it needed a relatively slow to
execute access 'password' shifted into it in order to gain access to the
time registers.

Originally written to update the coco's time from the RTC chip every 60
seconds, this slow, shift the password into it took several milliseconds to
execute, with the IRQ's disabled, and played hell with serial
communications even at 300 baud, driving the early versions of rzsz out of
its skull since it had a 1 minute pipeline drain before it requested the
restart of the file download that was errored out by this locked out IRQ
causing several characters to be lost.  I was lucky to get an effective
download speed of 75 baud under those conditions.

By the time I got done with that particular clock module, most of the
software only clock had been transplanted into it and the tick values fine
tuned such that it only did this at bootup and midnight, only getting off
15 seconds or so in that time frame.

Self defense, this was back in the days before Judge Green, and it was long
distance charges for me to call my ISP, 11 miles of noisy phone line away.
So it was a problem that HAD to be fixed when it was costing me $120+ a
month to go online with my coco.