[Coco] A Technical Question

T. Franklin tim at franklinlabs.com
Fri May 18 09:15:33 EDT 2012

Thanks all for all the replies. Your responses pretty much told me what I need to know.

In summery, the implementation of the Video/RAM methods is as I thought. There seems to be more than one method and there doesn't appear to be a "standard which was my basic question.

As for the OpenGL that was a general "concept". I agree that implementing a full boat OpenGL wouldn?t be practical but it would be cool to take some of the graphic functionality off the 6809 and put it in a co-processor to free up and speed up game programs. As one of you stated, maybe not OpenGL but perhaps just implement of a sprite engine complete with masking and full screen scrolling along with some basic draw functionality. That would leave the processor to do the game-play aspects. I?m just toying with ideas at this point. I also thought of a possible mode with a 1/2 graphic 1/2 text screen for adventure style games.

Furthermore, yes, I plan on implementing the entire thing on an FPGA. Right now I?m working on the DE-1. There?s no timetable for this. It?s more of a "can it be done and if so. How" type project.