[Coco] Drivewire 4 having trouble detecting my serial port

Christopher Hawks chawks at dls.net
Sun May 13 18:56:55 EDT 2012

Fred D. Provoncha said the following on 05/13/2012 05:05 PM:
> I'm trying to set up Drivewire 4 on my Ubuntu Linux laptop to communicate with
> my Coco. I'm running the Drivewire 4 configuration program on my Ubuntu 12.04
> Linux laptop. The laptop does not have a built-in serial port, so I'm using a
> USB-Serial adapter to connect it to my real Coco 3. According to my system, the
> adapter is being assigned to port "ttyUSB0". But within the Drivewire 4 setup
> program, underneath where it says "Drivewire has detected the following ports:"
> nothing shows up. Further down, it asks, "If Drivewire does not detect your
> serial port, you can enter the name below". I then type in "/dev/ttyUSB0" in
> the space provided and then click "Add Port". A message then appear saying:
> "/dev/ttyUSB0 This port does not exist". I know for a fact it does exist
> however, as it appears in the /dev directory in my Linux file system. Any ideas?

Fred:

	Do you have permission to access the port??

When first created, mine showed up with permissions:

HAWKSoft(chrish)$ ls -l /dev/ttyUSB0
crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 188, 0 2009-01-03 17:07 /dev/ttyUSB0
(usable by root and owner uucp)

I had to change it to:

crw-rw-rw- 1 root uucp 188, 0 2009-01-03 17:07 /dev/ttyUSB0
(usable by root, owner uucp, and everyone)

Then I could use it.

--
Christopher R. Hawks
HAWKSoft