[Coco] Kinda off-topic, kinda crazy question about the Liber809

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Fri May 11 08:00:00 EDT 2012

On Fri, 11 May 2012, Theodore (Alex) Evans wrote:

> On 12-05-10 03:28 PM, Juan Castro wrote:
>> How hard would it be to make a similar daughterboard for the 65C816?
>> ("Liber816?") So one could do some 16-bit assembly programming and not have
>> to forgo the Atari machine's native software forever?
>
> This is going to sound crazy, but the 65C816 is actually pin compatible with
> the 6502.  From what I understand there is only a 1 pin difference between a
> standard 6502 and the one used in XL series 8-bit Ataris

If that was true, every Apple 2 hobbyist in the world would have
back-fitted their machines.  You may want to take another look at the data
sheets.

Are you possibly confusing the issue with the 65C802? That short lived
chip was completely pin-compatible with the 65C02 - I have a couple here
that were used in Apple IIe boxen.

Steve