[Coco] An interesting computer repair story

Louis Ciotti lciotti1 at gmail.com
Thu May 3 10:44:10 EDT 2012

> This isn't always the case the (CRT) TV that we have in our sitting room,
> we had fixed a couple of years back for around £60, it was worth it because
> to have replaced it would have probably cost around £400 for a similar
> specced LCD, so in this case it was worth it, especially as said TV was
> only a couple of years old at that point, and the fault was a dodgy degauss
> circuit causing the colours to be all funny :( A quick look on Comet's
> website suggests the cheapest 32" LCD is still £200, so still worth doing :)
>
> Besides the fact that I actually prefer the picture on a CRT (for TV
> anyway), but then I'm strange like that :)

Unfortunatly here in the US TV repairs shops are just about extinct.  I
know there is not one TV repair shop with in 30 miles from my small city.
That and the move to digital TV (even OTA stations are digital now) makes
the old tube TVs obsolete unless you use a converter box, or it happen to
have a digital tuner.  Even with a DTV converter you loose much if the
screen because many shows/stations have gone to wide screen format,
resulting in black bars taking up a good chunk of realestate on the common
4:3 aspect ratio CRTs.  Heck I have even notice my wide screen 16:9
widescreen TV not the right aspect ratio for some new blue-ray movies.