[Coco] An interesting computer repair story

Paulo Lindoso paulo.lindoso at gmail.com
Thu May 3 10:34:09 EDT 2012

I'm Brazilian, so this is going to be something "seen from the outside".

Part of the "problem" you guys mention is also part of "solution" for which
the American society is so admired.

The fact that producing NEW stuff has become cheaper and cheaper made it
more affordable to more and more people, which, in turn, increased sales
volumes and in turn made things even cheaper as fixed costs became diluted
among a larger marketbase...

Take a pair of jeans, for instance; you can buy a regular size 38/34 in
your nearest Walmart for almost less than USD10 + tax.  If you really want
to show off, you can buy it with a nice brand (Tommy Hilfiger,
BrooksBrothers) in an outlet for something around USD 20 + tax.  Here in
Brazil, the SAME pair would cost USD 100 (tax included) or more.

Now, I grant that this rationale (mass consumerism and the "throw-away"
society) is perhaps NOT the best option for a number of segments in the
economy and that same rationale is destroying a number of values the US is
also very admired for, but overall, this is the essence which made the US
the nation it is today.

I think that the answer, as Buddha would put, lies in the "middle".
 Somewhere, a line must be drawn between what is "discardable" and what is
"fixable" and how much one is willing to pay for the two things.

As for myself, being an Engineer in formation, I love fixing things, but I
need to balance this "urge" with time with the "better half" and the kids
and also time to make money, because very much like in the US, Brazil is
shifting towards become a "full-time consumer society"....

Maybe this whole "eco-stuff" that is trendy these days is about finding a
new balance between "make" and "fix"... Go figure...

My $0.02 of philosophy here... ;)

Cheers,
Paulo.