[Coco] Read Coco floppies in my PC

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Mar 31 12:22:00 EDT 2012

On Saturday, March 31, 2012 12:00:20 PM Michael Graham did opine:

> Well, if you'd like, I guess you could try the bulk erase method listed
> in that link.  I found a copy of the BULKERAS.EXE that it mentions here:
> http://retro.icequake.net/dob/files/cp2pc/bin/cp2pc600/

No program can duplicate a true bulk eraser.  It will be a waste of your
time, and if they charge for the program, money.  The drive can only erase
where its heads travel, and I have yet to see a micro-stepping driver in a
floppy drive that would allow the intertrack spaces to be erased.

True erasure means the disk is being subjected to a strong magnetic field,
generated by the powerline frequency, strong enough to flip the magnetic
signals fully one way or the other.  The disk needs to be moved slowly over
the working face of the eraser and removed slowly such that as the
alternating magnetic field fades with increasing distance, so the magnetic
coating on the disk is essentially left in a neutral, no net magnetism one
way or the other remaining state.  The shack once sold a handheld rig that
was strong enough for disks but not anything thicker than a 1/8" cassette,
but I haven't seen one of those on the pegboard for close to 20 years.
That leaves Guardiner who supply a belt driven carrier model strong enough
to wipe a  2" quadruplex video tape.  But it will need a 240 volt circuit
rated for a 20kw load and you will need several thousand to buy it with.

Much much cheaper to find an old 360k drive.  Hopefully with good heads
yet, some of mine are dying from worn heads.  My fav drive, a Teac 55 360k
gave up the ghost about a year ago from worn out heads.  I expect they had
the equ of 3 million miles on them though.  It had been my /D0 for nearly
26 years.

> I might have to try it myself next time I go back home to my old
> desktop, I hadn't run across that method the first time I was searching.
>
> On 3/31/2012 9:08 AM, Bill wrote:
> > So basically, regardless of the OS, I still ain't gonna get any good
> > results 'till I find me a 360.

That is in this case, the least headache method, by a very large margin.