[Coco] Better display

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Sat Mar 24 10:56:13 EDT 2012

Bill wrote:
> I have a OLD TV that does not show off the NitrOS9 window very well. I need
> some advise about what to type in to change the green 80 column display to a
> white background 40 column display. I'd love to have my NitrOS9 boot up to
> it, but I'll type in a change every time if I have to .
>

> Thanks

You can build a new boot disk using the scripts that come with the distribution.
Change the mb.floppy file (if that is what you are booting) so that rel_80 is
changed to rel_40. That will get the first boot screen changed.
Also change the standard.bl so that term_w40.dt instead of term_w80.dt is used.
That will change the size of the initial window.
With this approach, the colors will not have changed and you will need to do
that using xmode. Xmode could also be used to change the window size but that
would not change the boot screen.

xmode /term

will display the screen parameters. You will see fgc (foreground color), bgc
(background), and bdc (border). Changing these values will select the palettes.
Try  xmode /term fgc=2 bgc=0 bdc=7
Add to your startup file the line
montype -c
as your TV is a composite monitor. By default, the current NitrOS-9 is set to
RGB monitors.

Once you have used xmode, you will need to make the changes permanent with
cobbler /dd

If you don't care about the width of the boot screen and don't want to create a
new boot disk, xmode can also change the width of /term.
xmode /term col=28
If you find there are too many rows for your TV to easily display, use xmode
with pag and row to decrease the number of displayed rows and the location of
the screen pause.