[Coco] Drivewire for Dummies - Part 4 - DRIVE #n vs. DRIVE n

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sat Mar 24 10:30:06 EDT 2012

I only use "VHD" for the multi images and "DSK" for singles. Just as in the emulators.
I was already acustom to the 256 disk thing in basic as a friend of mine had the Ken-Ton hard drive system to which this is all based. I used his system quite a bit as I didn't have Delphi access and he did.
The multi disk files are easier to create and manipulate in Vcc then used on the Coco. I use the original VHDs that Robert Gualt created for Vcc and Mess as my base files. You can format the OS9 portion to clear it in Vcc in less than a minute (80 meg). These images have plenty of room for OS9 archives.
And if you follow Mr Gault's instructions for setting up an OS9 boot in Vcc, the Coco OS9 boot becomes effortless.
I used the cassette cable direct to PC method for loading HDBDOS the first time, then saved it to disk. Now I turn on the Coco then run the DW server on the PC, then I load and exec HDBDOS on the Coco, the boot menu comes up, hit "5" for OS9, "6" for RSDOS.
One thing that I've noticed. If you have a VHD partitioned for RSDOS (pokes for the $5A000 offset), HDBDOS will not read the single DSK images as it is looking for the $5A000 ofset and the disk is only 180k. This makes copying the single images to the multis rather frustrating. Vcc handles this by 4 single disk drive imulations. On the Coco, the are the real drives.

Bill Pierce
ooogalapasooo at aol.com