[Coco] Drivewire for Dummies - Part 2 - The Cable

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 10:00:52 EDT 2012

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 9:53 AM, Darren A <mechacoco at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> About a year ago.
>>> <http://five.pairlist.net/pipermail/coco/2011-April/054398.html>
>>>
>>> I believe the current DW4 server will support it, but the client side
>>> has yet to be incorporated into a public release.
>>

>> Who would have the source for this?
>>

> The source code for the 230k bit banger routines is part of the
> Nitros9 project.  I think the file names are dw4read and dw4write.

Worth mentioning that DriveWire 4 will detect the 230k OS9 driver
starting up even if its set to 115.2k, and switch on the fly for you.

This allows you to use any stock HDBDOS DW rom to start the OS9 boot
at regular 115.2k, and get 230k speed once OS9 takes over, all
automagically.  So, you can easily play with 230k without having to
get a new ROM in place.

Should probably also reiterate that you do need a cable wired properly
for 230k, meaning CD and RD tied together on the CoCo end of the cable
(both connected to RD).  Many DW cables will not have CD connected to
anything.  I've just used a tiny bit of wire soldered between the pins
inside the DIN to add the CD connection and always seems to work out.