[Coco] Better display

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Fri Mar 23 23:38:03 EDT 2012

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 10:46:10PM -0400, Bill wrote:
> I have a OLD TV that does not show off the NitrOS9 window very well. I need
> some advise about what to type in to change the green 80 column display to a
> white background 40 column display. I'd love to have my NitrOS9 boot up to
> it, but I'll type in a change every time if I have to .

I can't get to my CoCo right now so I'm going to have to leave out
some details here.

Solution 1: use display.  edit /dd/startup with your favorite text
editor.  Add the lines: (lines that start with * are comments)
	*close current window
	display 1b 24 > /term
	*change type
	display 1b 20 01 00 00 28 18 02 00 00 > /term
	*1b 20 = create new window
	*01 type 1 - 40 col text screen
	*00 00 starting col and row
	*28 18 size in hex (40x24)
	*02 foreground color (black in default rgb palette)
	*00 00 background and border color (white ....)

(Color codes may be diffent depending on your montype, rather another
command has changed the palette, and the phase of the moon. :)

Solution 2:  use wcreate. nearly the same thing, but in decimal. I
don't use wcreate, you'll have to look it up.

Solution 3: build a new boot disk. Swap out term_win80.dw for
term_win40.dw in your BOOTLIST/standard.bl.  If you like you can also
swap out rel_80 with rel_40 in SCRIPTS/mb to make the NITROS-9 BOOT
screen be 40-col.

Solution 4: edit OS9Boot.  Use a hex editor and edit the type and
size in the term module directly.  Make sure you have the SCF device
descriptor description in your hand before you start this.

Solution 5: use xmode(?) and cobbler. I think you can use xmode to
change the in-memory device descriptor, then use cobbler to write your
current OS image to a new boot disk, but I don't use that method so
I'm unsure on the exact details.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA