[Coco] Archiving a floppy disk collection

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Wed Mar 21 23:26:15 EDT 2012

Allen Huffman wrote:
> On Mar 21, 2012, at 7:02 PM, Robert Gault wrote:
>
>> Since you need the HDBDOS Drivewire version to use Drivewire, you do indeed have labels on DECB disks. That function is built into HDBDOS/RGBDOS.
>
> True, true. I had converted to using HDB-DOS during my final time with the CoCo, and all those virtual disks are backed up on a memory card. But, HDB-DOS won't work for all the tons of 40 and 42 track RS-DOS disks I have since it is hard coded to 35 tracks only, right?
>
> -

HDBDOS is hard coded for 35 tracks. It might be possible to POKE a few bytes in
memory to get it to use 42 tracks on a temporary basis. You would to need to be
very careful because 35-track disks won't be readable from 36 on and BACKUP
would fail.
You could also write your own backup routine which I've done for myself. That
would take care of differently sized disks.

I will test my Backup program to see if it works with Drivewire. The program
offers the choice of 35-track or 40-track backups. I can probably add the choice
of 42 tracks without much trouble.
If it works with Drivewire, I could send it to you.

Robert