[Coco] Setting an FD502 as a second drive

Steve Batson steve at batsonphotography.com
Wed Mar 21 15:39:08 EDT 2012

There's a few more things to consider. Keep in mind it's been a long time, so I'm not sure what drives fit the various situations.
Some floppy drives had jumpers, some did not. The drives that had jumpers usually where labeled well enough to figure it out, but you could probably find the jumper locations and settings if you do some searching for the exact drive model.
Also not, the floppy ribbon cables that have some of the wires flipped, basically does the drive selection. When cables like this were used (in most PCs) all the drives were set to the same (Drive A if I remember correctly). If you start playing with Jumpers on a drive that is connected to the portion of the cable that has the flip, you will likely see issues. To avoid the cable issues, you can use a straight through cable and make sure each drive is set properly so you don't have conflicts with both drives trying to be drive A or B.
There's one more thing to consider that can cause all sorts of issues. Older floppy drives used to have a Terminating Resistor Pack on them and was intended to only be installed on the last drive on the cable. If you had two drives and they both had Terminating Resistors, you could have all sorts of weirdness including it just not working or being flaky. You would have to pull the terminating resistor out of all drives except the one at the end of the cable. I think they pretty much solved this later on in newer drives, but it is something to watch for.
I'd google info for configuring the drives and consider the above as you go through configuration.
Hope this helps.