[Coco] Read Coco floppies in my PC

Tue Mar 20 18:07:26 EDT 2012

Hi,

My memory is very vague on the RETRIEVE problem, it may be when trying to
read side "B" (Back Side) it does not work with Jeff's RETRIEVE.

John's 6309 emulator help.txt says he enhanced the DSKINI and RETRIEVE
commands. Finding Jeff's side "B" problem was difficult I remember.

"OS9" is a better method of reading OS-9 disks.

--------------------------------

Your results seem to ring a bell.

One thing that I always did was to use my Bulk Tape Eraser on the floppy if
it's contents was unknown!

"sector interleave" should not be a problem.

It might be that the Write Track commands produce different patterns
depending on PC or CoCo.

It has been way too many years since I looked at the (1776?) Write Track
command documentation and I never have looked at the same for the super I/O
chips for the PC, but I can accept that there are differences.

But thinking again (It has been > 30 years) the WRITE TRACK pattern is part
of the formatting program so DSKINI on the CoCo and PC (Jeff's and John's
code) may be writing different data.

If switching to John's utilities produces the same problem, then the Write
Track would be my prime suspect.

But then I remember no such problem reading my CoCo OS-9 formatted 3.5"
floppies being read using "OS9" which says it is a RETRIEVE problem. Try
John's to prove it.

I wonder if "OS9" might be using READ TRACK and RETRIEVE using READ SECTOR.

SHF