[Coco] Rainbow on Tape or Rainbow on Disk

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Mar 19 10:48:31 EDT 2012

On Monday, March 19, 2012 10:37:00 AM Robert Gault did opine:

> Aaron Wolfe wrote:
> > It appears this FTP site does not support passive mode, which is the
> > default in pretty much everything these days.
> >
> > If you want to use the site, looks like you'll have to enable active
> > mode, which may not be possible for you depending on your
> > router/firewall configuration.
> >
> > Hosting a public FTP site that doesn't support passive mode means most
> > of your potential users simply won't be able to connect, and will give
> > up.  Highly recommend the site operator sorts that out.
> >
> > -Aaron
>
> For anyone using the Mozilla browsers, SeaMonkey or FireFox, I have no
> troubles accessing Bill's ftp site using the FireFTP extension with
> SeaMonkey.

From the kde requester, I have to assume some kde preference is overriding
fireftp, I'm seeing a 421 error while trying to access the /var/ftp/
directory.

gFTP OTOH, gets in a loop reporting the same error as kde:

USER anonymous
421 Can't change directory to /var/ftp/ [/]
Disconnecting from site randomrodder.com
Looking up randomrodder.com
Trying randomrodder.com:21

I hit the gFTP stop sign.  It appears /var/ftp/ hasn't sufficient access
rights to allow the ftp access.

I'm with Aaron on this, the site owner needs to sort this out or not offer
the service at all.