[Coco] Tape-to-disk copy

William Astle lost at l-w.ca
Sun Mar 18 22:19:53 EDT 2012

The suggestion below will most certainly not work in the general case
because it cannot handle multi-segment binary files (otherwise known as
multi-origin files) which are created by default with most versions of
EDTASM, for instance. (EDTASM even creates a multi-record file if you
only have one org statement.)

In order to transfer files from tape to disk in the general case, you'll
need to have a utility that reads the file header from tape, opens a
disk file with appropriate type codes, etc., then copies the data
directly from tape to disk. To further complicate things, there are two
different on-tape formats recognized by CLOADM - Color basic supports
only a single segment in the file and doesn't use the
pre-amble/post-amble scheme. Extended basic uses the same format as
LOADM/SAVEM does. A study of the Unravelled books should reveal the
precise details.

I seem to recall a utility in Rainbow at some point that did do tape to
disk transfers but I can't recall when it was or how well it handled the
various formats.