[Coco] Autoboot

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Sat Mar 17 09:44:30 EDT 2012

Bill wrote:
> I got a Coco3 from Mary that has been modded with the drive controller and
> RS232 Pak built into the Coco. Whenever the Coco boots, it automatically
> looks at the drive and looks for something on the disk to auto boot. Just
> out of curiosity, I saved VIP Desktop to a disk, and sure enough, whenever
> the Coco boots, VIP Desktop starts.
>

> What do I have to write to the other disks (and to which track) to make them
> autoboot? I have tried the "autosave.bas" program, but it doesn't work.
>

> Thanks

What do you see on the screen when the unit turns on? You may be able to deduce
the file name by seeing what variant of DOS is in the ROM.
If that does not help, you will need to disassemble or otherwise study the DOS
to find the name of the required file.

You already say you eliminated AUTOEXEC.BAS. Another typical name might be
*.BAS. What generic name is present on the VIP disk, as that program auto-starts?