[Coco] Drive Pak/CoConet question

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Tue Mar 13 20:37:47 EDT 2012

Sean wrote:
> Anyone else here familiar with the CoConet commands?
>
> I'm having trouble figuring out something with my microSD drive pak.
> I have it in slot one of the MPI, and in slot four is a disk
> controller.  CoConet boots up and detects everything, and assigns
> 'drive 2' as the floppy, but for side 2 of the drive.  I can't figure
> out the command to change that to side one of the floppy drive.
> Any help is appreciated!

I don't think there is a CoConet command that will do what you want. You would
need to "change the ROM". Also, I don't know why you would want that in any case.

There are two "normal" disk settings for DOS depending on whether your drives
are single or double sided.
Drive DISK/SIDE double sided
0      0    1
1      1    1
2      0    2
3      1    2
or
Drive DISK/SIDE single sided
0      0    1
1      1    1
2      2    1
3      3    1

What you get is determined by a table in the DOS ROM. For DOS1.1, the table is
at $D89D-$D8A0. Your table must be $01,$02,$41,$42 for double sided drives.

If you have a Coco3, you can change the table by POKEing new values into the table.

One of the CoCoNet commands of interest is
DRIVE[ENTER]
for which you might see
*0 MICROSD 000
  1 CNET-6551
  2 FDC 0 SIDE 2
  3 CNET-SIO

Since I have a Coco3, I can POKE&HD89F,1. The DRIVE command will then show
*0 MICROSD 000
  1 CNET-6551
  2 FDC 0 SIDE 1
  3 CNET-SIO

However, why not just enter
DRIVE0,ON
That will return
*0 FDC 0 SIDE 1
You won't need to POKE memory and any programs that might switch to ROM mode
will still work correctly.

If your real problem is that you want to access disk0 side1 and the MICROSD card
at the same time, you can do it this way.
DRIVE0,ON
DRIVE1,#0

You will then have
  0 FDC 0 SIDE 1