[Coco] [Color Computer] USB Floppy drive on VCC

David Ladd drencor at gamepixel.net
Sat Jun 23 23:44:25 EDT 2012

On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 10:03 PM, WinstonP <cantatora at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know if a USB floppy drive will work with VCC?
> I've seen them with 3.5" floppies and figure I would swap the drive with a
> 5.25" (my original CoCo drive).
>
> If anyone has tried this, please let me know.
>
> the only other option I can think of is to re-build another computer and
> add a 5.25 drive to it and run VCC on it.
>
> Winston

Sadly a USB floppy drive will not work.  All known USB 3.5" floppy drives
have a fixed byte count of 512bytes.  A lot of the newer USB drives only
support HD 1.44MB floppies.

What you will need is a motherboard with a real floppy controller and
utility called
http://simonowen.com/fdrawcmd/

This special driver allows VCC to talk directly to the floppy controller.
You will want to read the FAQ's very carefully that comes with fdrawcmd.

Hope this helps you.