[Coco] Serial to usb printers

Theodore (Alex) Evans alxevans at concentric.net
Wed Jun 13 07:39:23 EDT 2012

On 12-06-13 06:17 AM, Frank Swygert wrote:
> The HP 540 is "modern" compared to a CoCo, but you can't get them new
> any more. Nice to know that it is one of the inkjets that have a "brain"
> and are usable with a CoCo though. Much nicer than an old dot matrix.
> There are no new inkjets that will work that I know of though, nor will
> most laser printers. Some of the older laser printers would work as
> well, but nothing since 2000. The HP 540 was introduced in 1994
> according to the HP support site. I do believe it was discontinued by 2000.

That is an arbitrary date, and patently false.  All the cheap printers
don't support any real printing language, but a number of the more
expensive ink jet and laser printers support PCL and/or Postscript and
as a result are usable with the CoCo.

As a random example, the HP Officejet 6000 and the HP LaserJet Pro
P1600dn support PCL.