[Coco] organize maltedmedia

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 21:24:03 EDT 2012

On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 9:14 PM, Tony <tonym at compusource.net> wrote:

(snip)

> OK - then as a group, let' come up with a scheme - Productivity and
> Applications are both the same, well, Prod would be under Apps, I was
> just jotting quickly, so drop Productivity, and just keep Applications.
>
> So something like:
>
> Apps
> Drivers
> Games
> System
> Utility
>
> ?

Sounds much better to me.

One item to think about is the big disk collections like the CFDM and
various usergroups disk sets.  Those of course have some software from
all of the above categories, but are also significant in their own
right as a set.
Takes us back to the age old problem of using a filesystem to arrange
something that belongs in a database... hierarchical structures just
don't fit the real world very often.  Keeping things general instead
of trying to be overly specific helps with that but corner cases still
always stink.
Ideally we could all agree on some open, standard thing that allowed
multiple fields of data (then a program might belong to several
categories instead of being forced to pick just one).  Not sure if its
possible though.