[Coco] OT: Heat / A/C controller replacement

Fri Jun 8 15:13:27 EDT 2012

Hi,
> This sounds like what you have done is remoted the thermostatic on/off
> up to the second floor so you do not have to go down stairs to adjust
> the temperature but basically making/breaking the power connection to
> the main first floor thermostat.

Precisely.

> Then you said "that has switches to select heat or A/C mode which must
> match what the downstairs original controller is set to."

The downstairs controller is still in control so the mode of heat / A/C must
be set with it.
My hack has switches to close the relay either when it is too hot or too
cool. When the pilot light is turned off both the hack and downstairs
controller mode is set to A/C. When the pilot light is turned on both are
set to heat.

> So if the homebrew on is set to
> heat at the original one is set to AC what happens?

Nothing good! If heating is set on the downstairs controller and A/C on the
hack, the hack will be waiting for the room to cool to break the circuit
which will not happen. Actually the temperature sensor in the downstairs
control will open and stop the heat. This was done as a safety feature. The
downstairs controller also operates as a safety limit to prevent over
cooling.

When the power failure happened the hack was off due to a switch that does
not allow it to close the circuit. Both the hack and the downstairs
controllers were set for A/C and I had not used the A/C for two or more
weeks.

Sunday may be hot so I will need to turn the A/C on with a simple switch and
perhaps fiddle with the downstairs controller's A/C limit, but that is not a
good process as the downstairs and upstairs temperatures are so different.
That's why I built the hack, I want the upstairs to be at the desired
temperature, the downstairs I spend little time in.

There are also several LED lights and a delay circuit in the hack. The delay
is necessary as you may kill your A/C if you turn it on before 3 - 4 minutes
have passed. #2 A/C $2K paid as I did not have this delay. #3 A/C $2K paid
even though I had the delay circuit. A cleaner was added to the compressor
and it has been working for ~ a decade.

So, cost of the hack box, > $4K.

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 8:03 AM, Jim Hickle <jlhickle at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Now that I am older, I would probably just put a thermostat on each floor
> and walk between them and switch manually.
>> BUT the problem is, how do you connect TWO of these with 5-6 wires at the
>> SAME time.

Tell me how to do this and I will look into it. I could not understand the
heat / A/C diagram back in the seventies and still do not understand it. I
just found it but scanning it may not work due to age / dirt and recessed in
a frame.

1) I am thinking about how to repair the hack, no contact cleaner left and I
cannot drive.
The trimmer that I think has gone bad is to control the hysteresis. Another
pot sets the operating voltage which also needs to be sprayed. The main
temperature setting pot is hard to spray into.
I will at some time be trying different CMOS ICs and the timer chip. But the
action of the LED's say it is the basic temperature circuit (See LM3911 data
sheet)

2) Replacing the hack with a simple A/C sensor for now.

3) If it can be done, put two 5-6 wire controllers on each floor for the
next owner. But then when I die, everything must be replaced and the Heat /
A/C should be on the list. I will say yes if I can talk, but that may not be
possible. If I can, the wires I added will be removed from the heat / A/C as
they will not be understood.

SHF