[Coco] OT:The Apple II source code for Prince Of Persia- found after 22 years

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Tue Jun 5 09:35:32 EDT 2012

David

6502 code is very similar to 6800 as is the architecture. A straight forward mapping of
comparable code is a rather daunting task for all but small blocks of code. there are
instruction that do not directly translate due to differences in the register sizes and function of
the instruction execution. An example of that is when stacking, the 6502 pushes a byte onto
the stack and then decrements. the 6809 decrements the pointer and then pushes a byte on
the stack. The 6502 has a D flag in the condition code register that has no meaning in the
6809. There are a few instructions that use the D flag and care is needed when translating
those instructions to 6809 code.

One warning from the author of the CSC 6502 to 6809 translator made is if porting 6502
code to run on an OS9 system, non position independent code does not run well in OS9. The
data structutes will in single user mode. Now that was written back in 1982 and with the mods
that the NitrOS9 group has done that may or may not be the case. Code then was often
written in a position dependant mannor and that could be an issue if porting to OS9.

james