[Coco] Dmode Settings

Mon Jun 4 15:41:35 EDT 2012

Hi,

Here is what comes up for VCC with no changes:

nam=D0 mgr=RBF ddr=rb1773
hpn=07 hpa=FF40 drv=00 stp=03 typ=20 dns=01 cyl=0028 sid=02
vfy=01 sct=0012 t0s=0012 ilv=03 sas=08 wpc= ofs= rwc=

The "dns=01 cyl=0028 sid=02" are the fields to change.

35 Tracks, cyl=23

40 Tracks, cyl=28

80 Tracks, cyl=50

Number of sides can be sid=01 or sid=02.

For all number of tracks less than 80, dns must be dns=01 (48 TPI).

For 80 Track drives dns=03 (96 TPI) is correct.

But many (MOST???) 3.5" 80 Track 2 Sided drives / disks have dns=01 which I
have previously stated is incorrect as 720K 3.5" floppies are 96 TPI.

Now, as to .dsk files.

As I have used at least three methods of converting my floppy disks to .dsk
files I have a mix of dns=01 and dns=03 for my 80T 2S disks. If I get an
error I just DMODE /D0 dns=01 or dns=03 and all is fine until another .dsk
file is mounted.

The utility "lsn0" on the SHF888 disk on my web site will display the
information for a .dsk file if you need to figure out what a .dsk file has
to set up the descriptor to read it.

NOTE!!!! SHF888 is a work in progress, it does not have the documentation I
plan to add before announcing it. It is intended to be a programmers VCC
NitrOS-9 survival kit.

Dean: the text of your posts is coming across as an attachment for me.

I made the same mistake a few months back but I now have forgotten what
caused it, perhaps changing the character set or pasting from my word
processor.

SHF