[Coco] serial port problems on coco2

Aaron Banerjee spam_proof at verizon.net
Sat Jul 28 14:25:54 EDT 2012

Hmmm.  I'm not sure if this has been answered (e-mail glitch), but...

Try checking bit 0 of &HFF22 while changing the voltage of your
"status" line (RS232IN - pin 2).  E.g.

5  PRINT PEEK(&HFF22)
10 GOTO 5

and then change the voltage on pin 2 of the RS232.  The number you get
should change (e.g. from an even to odd number) based on the voltage.
If it doesn't, there's something wrong.  My first guess would be
either the PIA (6821) (U2 on a Coco 2, located on the "left" {away
from cartridge connector} side of the board) or the SALT chip (U1 -
located nearby the big power transistor).

              - Aaron