[Coco] An MC68HC11A1P Based Computer Idea

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Wed Jul 18 09:27:52 EDT 2012

Kip

In what ever direction you decide to go with a HC11A1 based machine, I highly  would
suggest that you find or purchase a MC68HC24 Port Replacement Unit. Tekmos makes a
replecement for it, TK68HC24, and is available in single unit pricing.

With the HC11A1 you loose the usage of PortB and PortC to external data buss for memory
and peripherals. The whole concept of the HC11 series processors was to be used for
embedded systems and not so much for full blown computer systems. I am not trying to
discourage your work. Instead if you wish to recover the lost ports then I suggest the PRU to
be integrated into your design.

I have years of experience in working with the HC11 series of processors. All of the alpha
and numeric paging products from Motorola all use both HC11 and HC05 processors. Most
common used were the HC11K and PH series.

good luck
james