[Coco] Coco 3 emulator and Linux

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Thu Jul 12 14:02:01 EDT 2012

Hey, Keith, glad to hear it! I was actually have sound problems myself;
they're still not perfect, but better than when I started. I think it's
just the combination of Wine and VCC (too many emulation layers?).

I have both ALSA and OSS drivers installed (mainly because some games I
play from time to time in Linux want one or the other). I think by
default under Wine I had the ALSA driver selected, and DirectSound as
"Full" with a sample rate and bps of 48000/16.

This was ok for Wine's test sound, but in VCC when I played a sound
(SOUND 100,10) in DECB - it would pop and sputter (not a "smooth" tone);
one thing I didn't try was boosting my CPU speed to max all the time (I
have a Core2 Duo 2.67 GHz, and I generally run it "OnDemand" in Ubuntu).

Anyhow, no matter what I changed in VCC, I couldn't get it to sound
better. I found, though that if I switched to the OSS driver, it seemed
to like that a bit better; then I changed DirectSound to
Emulation/11025/16 for the settings. Then, in VCC sound settings, my
card output device showed up (on-board Realtek), so I set the sound
quality to the same (11025).

The sound was better, but still not perfect - but much better than when
I started. It kinda "bumps" at the beginning, then steadies out (with
some "pulsing" along the way).

Hmm - I just set my CPU to "full" and it's fairly steady - no "bump" -
but there is still an "undertone" of pulsing. I might have to play with
the sound settings some more; it's a minor issue, ultimately, though.

:)

Andrew L. Ayers
Glendale, Arizona