[Coco] DW3/HDB-DOS

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Fri Jul 6 11:10:44 EDT 2012

tonym wrote:
> Is it possible to have hdb-dos and DW3 on at the same time, with no physical drives required?
>
> I'd like to load up the hdb-dos VFDs with disk images over dw3.
>
> Unless someone knows something I don't... which is quite possible :)
>
> FYI, I have a SuperIDE from Mark, along with the 256MB pre-configured CF card with the VFDs and NitrOS-9 partitions.
>
> Tks!
>
> Tony

Let's make sure what you are asking. I think you want to run DW3 on a PC and
HDB-DOS on either a Coco1/2 or Coco3. Since you mention HDB-DOS, you want to
work under Disk Basic not OS-9.

Yes, you will need to have the appropriate HDB-DOS for Drivewire on the CF card.
That must be loaded as the disk ROM. That is not the same ROM as the stock
HDB-DOS used with the CF card VFD images.
Now if you mean that a VFD is the same as a MESS or VCC .vhd image, you can
certainly mount them in DW3 if you have some on the PC. You may have trouble
moving a VFD from the CF card to the PC unless you have a card reader on the PC.

There are some issues with using VFD images partitioned for both OS-9 and Disk
Basic with DW3. DW4 permits setting an offset value for the Disk Basic partition
which DW3 can't do. Without that, you would need to POKE offset values into
HDB-DOS for Drivewire or edit the ROM.