[Coco] OT: Who wants an Alpha?

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Thu Jul 5 20:15:39 EDT 2012

On 6/12/2012 1:01 PM, tonym wrote:
> I got off the DEC wagon years ago. I had a couple of AS1000e's, and
> up until April, had a fully built-out AXPpci-based machine (166,
> 32MB, OpenVMS VAX 7.2 w/DECwindows).

Where you running SimH /VAX to run VAX/VMS on an Alpha or was that a typo?

I tried to get Mocha to run on Java on OpenVMS/Alpha when Mocha first
came out.  As I recall, the joysticks did not work quite right, but it
may have been something else.  The VMS Java support people could not
investigate with out source, and at the time the source for Mocha could
not be given to them.

I want to get xmess ported to VMS to run an emulated COCO, but never
really got started on it before I had to move.

If you want to play with VMS, and/or other old machines, there are many
emulators available.

The SimH collection includes VAX, many PDP, and several other
emulations, so that you can have a virtual computer room.

SimH emulation targets can be built on most any modern computer that you
have, and on many small things with computers in them.  All you need is
a C compiler with 64 bit integer support, and optionally a way to put a
TUN-TAP style connection on the network adapter.

That makes me curious if it is viable to use SimH as a platform for a
COCO emulator.

There are several commercial ALPHA emulators that can run VMS and other
platforms that have free to use licenses for performance limited
versions of their products.  All you have to do is download them,
configure them and then install an operating system.  Most of them
require Windows, but at some may

There is at least one GPL Alpha emulator out that apparently can boot
VMS, but it also may be incomplete.  The author got hired by one of the
commercial emulator vendors.

The SimH/PDP-11 comes with a license for hobby use of RSX-11, and the
the operating system for the PDP-10 is also available.

VMS licenses for hobby use are also free.  License keys with 1 year
expiration are available just for filling out a form at openvms.org, and
the software can then be downloaded from a FTP link with a temporary
account.  You can get licenses for VAX/VMS, Alpha/VMS and Itanium/VMS.

My real VAXes are still powered off.  I am going to power them up
hopefully soon, but sell most of them off to a reseller.  Apparently
there is still a demand for some of parts that I have for spares.
I am switching to emulated VAXes.  Less space and power requirements.

I have one DS10 running, and a FreeAXP emulator running, along with an
RX2600 and a SimH/VAX running.

-John
wb8tyw(at)qsl.network
Personal Opinion Only