[Coco] Arduino as a Mouse/Keyboard interface?

Frank Swygert farna at amc-mag.com
Thu Jul 5 07:53:32 EDT 2012

Mark McDougall wrote:
Anyway, back to the original issue; I still maintain that you cannot
attach a USB keyboard/mouse to a device that is designed to operate as a
USB "device". It should be noted, however, that the PS/2 protocol is
quite trivial, and something that has been bit-bashed on PICs for years.
No doubt you could use the Arduino to connect PS/2 devices to the Coco.
Alas, like those before it, PS/2 devices are getting harder to find as
most of them have been consigned to the IT department junk box, or the
dumpster.

USB keyboards can be plugged into a simple adapter and plugged into a
PS/2 port, so they must have some kind of code detecting the type port,
or the PS/2 port has some differentiating signal it sends to the
keyboard and the keyboard switches modes. Couldn't this fact be used to
implement a keyboard? I know USB mice act the same way, so I don't think
it's in the keyboard circuitry...

--
Frank Swygert
Editor - American Motors Cars Magazine